Well, it is your final day.. the day you were waiting for 9 long months!! Deciding what to take in your hospital bag for delivery is crucial and should be done at least one month before your due date. The following list is of the item I decided to pack in my hospital bag for delivery. I have divided the list into three parts – one consisting of the items for the mother, second for the baby and third for your attendant.
Items for You (the Mother) in your Hospital Bag for Delivery-
- Two sets of dresses in which you feel most comfortable and which you can easily wear. Preferably, take a lower instead of legging or jeans so that you can get the best comfort.
- One nice dress for your photo-shoot (in case you have planned) with your baby (as these are the pics which you will remember for life, so you need to look a little nice :)).
- Comfortable lingerie.
- A bath towel and a hand towel.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, bath soap and hand wash.
- A comb and a moisturizer ( in case you use it).
- A pair of slippers.
- Some tissue papers, a hankey and some jute bags to put in the used stuff.
- Your hospital card and all the test reports (this is important).
- Your phone charger.
- A photo ID proof.
- And make sure you remove all your jewelry and cut your nails short.
Items for your Baby-
- At least two pairs of socks and mittens.
- Two soft cotton based head caps. Avoid woolens on a newborn baby.
- 3-4 sets of soft t-shirts and lowers. Prefer front-open t-shirts as they are easy to handle on a newborn.
- A swaddling sheet. Use a thick cotton based sheet. And if it is winters, you can use soft knitted ones.
- Diapers (newborn baby size) and Cotton nappies. Take them in bulk as you would be changing them frequently. Newborn babies poop very frequently.
- Baby comb/brush.
- A baby blanket, a cotton sheet, and a baby pillow.
- Cotton pads for wiping the baby.
- A set of dry sheets.
- A soft towel for the baby.
- A small steel bowl and a spoon. Hospital staff may require this for feeding the baby initially. But if your baby could take your feed, then nothing can be more magical than that.
Items for the Attendant-
- A blanket/cotton sheet.
- At least two sets of clothes.
- And the basic items like a bath towel, a toothbrush, a toothpaste, a phone charger, slippers, and a comb.
- These are the items that I considered important and packed in my hospital bag for delivery. I hope it of some help to you. You can give your suggestions in the comments section below.